Friday, August 15, 2008


[ThickAndy]


Rossi gets busy on a 66 piece. [Trib]
Tons of good stuff in that article.

Two things really stick out.

One, Mario thinks Hossa is a joke:

"It was very disappointing," Lemieux said of Hossa's departure. "I thought he wanted to be part of what we've built here over the past couple of years - especially with Sid and Malkin, having two of the best players in the world

Hossa better watch his back.

[Jamisen]

Two, they are going to build a statue of Buries it:

"We'd be remiss if we didn't have that," Sawyer said of the to-be-designed statue, which will be positioned near the plaza entrance at the northwest corner of Centre Avenue.

Sick
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::


Versus released the TV schedule for the NHL this season. [Joke]

Yay.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::



In a ceremony Glenn Anderson will become the 6th player from the 1980-81 Edmonton Oilers to have his number lifted to the rafters.

In the dead of August it's something you'd think [ OILBOBOSPHERE! ] would be all over. But they've got bigger fish to fry.

Whether he's really HOF material is a debate that has split families. Or at least bloggers. [ Mirtle vs. Wyshynski ]. Just like Pardon the Interruption except one of them isn't an big black guy and the other doesn't host Monday Night Football.

::::::::::::::::

Gretzky jobbing is in full force.
This is shaping up to be one of the best photoshop expos of all time.

[ Jared ]

[ Matt ]

[Jefe]

Keep em coming.


[ Alex ]

:::::::::::::::::

Olympicblog


Phelps in the 200 meter individual medley. Gold. New World Record.
6 for 6.





We aren't gonna jinx it by saying the magic words, but let's just say the Canadians aren't doing so great.

"I've been cheering for the Vancouver Canucks for how long? And they still have never won a Stanley Cup," said swimmer Brent Hayden, whose team had been shut out heading into last night, with breaststroker Mike Brown the best hope to end the drought. "I still love them, and I hope Canadians can still think of us the same way." [ National Post ]

Hoping to be thought of in the same light as the Canucks is akin to wanting to be thought of like Creed. Sure they probably have a moderate amount of devoted fans, but everyone else in the world realizes they just suck. [ worst band in the world ]


:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

[ School of Conk. PENS WIN ]



4-1

[ NHL.com RECAP ]

Perhaps it was fitting with the old number 35 & Ronny Francis looking on from the press box.

In fact, the only thing separating Ty Conklin and Evgeni Malkin from a early 1990's Tom Barrasso and Ron Francis. Conklin probably didn't beat some dudes ass at Froggy's after the game and Malkin didn't save any children from a burning fire.

[Ron Francis never saved any children from a burning fire to our knowledge. But we couldn't think of anything. And it seems like that is something that Francis would do.]

With nothing to write home about for the first couple minutes, Orpik and Erik Cole commenced a fight over two years in the making.

No winner, no loser, except Erik Cole has been a loser his whole life.
He heads to the locker room after it became obvious that his jersey wasn't tied down.[ It was determined that Cole's strap was broke. He still sucks.]

Some solid back and forth hockey was finally rewarded when Sergei Samsonov sneaks into the soft spot of the Pens defense and bats in a loose puck. 1-0.


Picture: Acid Queen is all business with her friends after the big goal.

No one cheered when the PK cleared the puck halfway through Staal's penalty.
Saturday night home games just have that garbage feeling around them.

On the eve of the Super Bowl, you had to wonder where Malkin was during that first period.

-- J. Schiff --


The Canes were out of their minds.
They got chance after chance.
But like many others before them.


Conkblock city.

Why is Crosby's hair always wet?

-- Lori and Megan from PSU --

The Canes came out in the second with more jump than Carl Lewis.
Again, Conklin was the only reason the Penguins were in the game to this point.

A solid effort by Staal's line forced the Canes to get caught with too many men on the ice.


Busted

The Pens can't take advantage of the Carolina mistake.

As the third period loomed, it was frustrating that this game was 1-0 only because of a lucky-as-balls Hurricanes bounce a couple minutes into the game.

Therrien sends out the Christensen-Talbot-Staal line to start the third.

Christensen gets owned in front of the net with a crosscheck.
He gets up, finds a soft spot, and is there to bang home a one-timer.

1-1.

With the last ranked penalty kill.
You knew the Cane's were going to give a powerplay goal up, at some point.
Midway on the Pens power play, Gonchar sends one to the net.
Malone tips it.
The puck gets behind Ward.


Is that a goal?
On the ice it is waived off.

War room time, for third time this week.


After a decent delay, the goal stands. 2-1.

About two minutes after that, Mellon Arena was in a frenzy.
Malkin swoops around in his own zone and takes it coast-to-coast, somehow finding the net on the backhand.
3-1.

Any thoughts of a Saturday night letdown went away when the Pens got another power play and Sykora sells some insurance.

4-1.

After that.
Carolina quit.
BGL tore someone up.


-- Matthew a.k.a. BlacknGold66 --

Game.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
[Picture+3.<span class=


:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

[Michael W]
"Pittsburgh has a great team, great people, great organization. I had to compare the two teams, and there's a little better chance to win the Cup in Detroit. I had a great time with Sid and playing on the power play with Geno [Evgeni Malkin], but the team in Detroit is something special. I know it's a short term, but we never talked about a one-year [deal] with Pittsburgh. We just talked about a long-term deal. I totally believe Detroit has the kind of team that can win it again."
--Hossa 3:16--
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Stoosh's countdown


Go Pens

51 comments:

Timothy Friez said...

FIRST! woo.

Lady Jaye said...

Damn, had I opened Pensblog instead of reading work email I might have been first for once in my life.

You know you're obsessed with Pens hockey when you go to the Wiggles concert with your children at the Mellon and yell "TRAITOR" at the Marion Hossa picture still on the side of the building...

Best line of the morning was when Mario said that going to Kansas City and Las Vegas was just for a nice meal rather than moving the team. Hahaha.

JYo said...

Mario statue....woooooooooooo! This arena is going to rock. Maybe 66 can bury Gretz under the arena for his "buries it" finale!

dying alive said...

I didn't think I could possibly appreciate tPB any more than I already did, until today. Creed IS the worst band in the world.

Those Gretzky-as-douchebag photoshops are classic.

brndlynn said...

Matt - the Gretzkydouche ps is one of my favorites ever on tPB. nice work.

Dan said...

mario will mushroom stamp hossa at some point this year. mark my words.

Max Power said...

The Mario statue is going to be a religious experience. They should put a halo on it. I'll be spending Sundays out front of the arena praying. Hercules is to Zeus as Mario is to the Hockey Gods.

stoosh great job on the countdown

wilsmith said...

We should plan a yearly summer pilgrimmage to the 66 statue.

You know, for a picnic or something.

Lady Jaye said...

Will the statue have a shovel in its hands?

curtO. said...

All Pens fans will have to guard that statue with their life.

They should put a bunch of perfect sized throwing rocks around, that way if a Philly fan tries to put a Flyers jersey on him we can easily stone him to death.

Max Power said...

Penguins are moving up in the world

Max Power said...

A flyers jersey would burst in to flames if it made contact with the big guys likeness!

J.S. said...

I'm still not sure if Creed or Nickelback is the worst band in the world. I do know that I nearly caused World War 2.5 when I made a motivator that mentioned "Nickleback" sucked (and yes, you are more than welcome to job me for my spelling of Nickleback, although a band that sucks so bad doesn't deserve to have their name spelled properly.)


clicky

I gotta get out of here. Check out time is in 15 min and I still have to run stuff out to my car. If anybody saw my rant yesterday, I'm gonna be miserable for most of the weekend, but at least I can stop at WB/S for some Pens stuff on the way home.

Dan said...

to end the debate, nickleback and creed should both be placed into a rocket. eddie vedder then pisses on this rocket. it is then shot into the sun. everyone lives happily ever after. the end.

Max Power said...

@ dan

They don't deserve to be shot in to the sun. They deserve worse. Bannish them to New Jersey for all time. Doomed for all eternity never to leave those borders. Tis a fate worse than the lower circles of hell.

I Have Kasparaitis said...

I used to love Creed ... then again I had a thing for boy bands during that time so take that as you will ...

So does Spain like to make themselves look stupid and piss off Americans and the Chinese at the same time? I'm going with yes ... twice.

And also it seems people have caught onto the Chinese cheating ... these people must be so intelligent to figure out she wasn't old enough to compete *rolls eyes* Looks like China wasn't smart enough to cover up their mistake, but can anything be done anyways?

shawnawwwesome said...

I vote for the statue to depict one or more of the following:

1) Mario yanking the stick out of some random hook-happy defenseman's hands and tossing it away.

2) Mario handing me season tickets for life. (We would have to pose for this, of course. Realism would be a must.)

3) Mario telling Sid to let Marc-Andre have the top bunk.

4) Mario kicking sand in Gary Bettman's face.

5) Mario doing Adam Graves' girlfriend.

6) Mario having a free dinner at Kansas City's expense.

P.O. said...

dan

only if said rocket hits eddy vedder right in his liberal face

Flyer Hater said...

In all fairness to Bruins fans, I'm pretty sure that's not a Bruins game. Boston has great hockey fans and a great hockey market but has been screwed over repeatedly by ownership, kind of like the situation in Chicago. You're seeing what's happening there with a competent onwer, the same thing would happen in Boston.

Flyer Hater said...

Mario Statue: 2:55 Mark

Victor Raison said...

Pensblog inches ever closer to the realm of legitimate journalism with today's delightfully ambiguous headline.
"A statue of Hossa? What? Why?"


Friends don't let friends listen to Nickelback.

Flyer Hater said...

Mario looks like such a beast in that picture. You can tell that he just banged a supermodel.

dying alive said...

Nickelback is certainly right up there with Creed for worst band of all time honors. The fact that both of those bands not only got record deals, but sold millions of albums is an abomination.

Never been a huge Pearl Jam fan either, I must admit. I wouldn't call them a terrible band, though, just not really my taste.

[/refrains from taking the liberal vs. conservative bait]

dying alive said...

And JS, that thread provided me with many minutes of pure entertainment. I thank you.

I Have Kasparaitis said...

Nothing like seeing Kasparaitis in a Pens uniform ... oh, I miss him so much it hurts sometimes ... Kovi and Jagr, too.

Flyer Hater said...

I don't miss Kaspar

Dan said...

max - banish them to jersey, and force them to watch a constant loop of the view or high school musical

p.o. - not cool

Max Power said...

@ dan

While making them listen to each other's albums respecitvely.

Max Power said...

Pittsburgh bum fights!

I Have Kasparaitis said...

Flyer Hater, you had to bring that up ... *shakes head*

Oh trying times, I gotta admit that was the only guy I remember liking after messing with Lemieux ... Kaspar had some brass ones doing what he did there. If I was playing in that game (I know, must bend reality to the most extreme point *laughs*), I would have made Kaspar pay for hitting Lemieux and Jagr, which is weird for me to say about one of the guys who brought me to love hockey as much as I do. Flyer Hater, he earned the title as one of the most hated hocey players in the NHL for a reason ...

I still miss him even after seeing that. His hip-checks were like one of the most beautiful things to see and his checking was so fun to watch him being such a small guy. He is the man who first took down Lindros and the man who got me hating Messier as much as I do (don't care about Messsier's talent.) The guy knew how to push the limits of people and he was a great agitator ...

Look you got me going on a Kaspar love rant! I have to stop now ...

I Have Kasparaitis said...

Apparently I can't spell hockey ... me = failure.

Flyer Hater said...

IHK, if the Pens wouldn't have lost that series, I probably would have been able to forgive and forget. But how much that loss meant to the franchise and how much of a douche Kaspar was in it, makes it hard.

Anyway, you misspelled hockey so your entire point in invalid.

I Have Kasparaitis said...

Flyer Hater: I'm pretty sure everyone thought Kaspar was a douche in just about every game he played, so whatev. I don't care if you like Kaspar, I do and he and Lemieux were the ones that got me into hoc(k)ey so much.

I guess the jobbing cycle continues afte the Thomas talk, huh? *laughs*

Hip said...

Mario goes sans tie.
Badass.


Stoosh and curto - happy birthday!!


On call all of tonight and again Sun. Bite me.

And re: the Statue. It will of course, officially be called Buries It from here on out. And will rival that of Herbie outside the X. I'm so jacked. Who can I sell myself to in order to get into that first game... I need to figure out a plan.

Pops Freshenmeyer said...

Being the best panhandler is kind of like being the Florida Panthers' team MVP. You're the best but you're still homeless/playing for the Panthers.

Although if Nathan Horton shanked Jay Bouwmeester one day in the locker room, I don't think I'd complain.

Max Power said...

The search is over at last!

dying alive said...

Between the finding of Bigfoot and the chupacabra being caught on video in Texas, it's been a big week for the X-Files.

Cornelius Hardenbergh said...

Happy Birthday stoosh?

Thanks for the low blow, fucko. Go Bruins! We fought Crosby!

Pops Freshenmeyer said...

Go Bruins! We fought Crosby!

And Sidney Crosby cut a bitch in the process. Bet the B's could get a full house if they were to shoot Jeremy Jacobs and his idiot son at center ice as intermission entertainment.

Maybe they could schedule a fight to the death against Gary Roberts the first time the Lightning come into Boston.

Victor Raison said...

"I wanna know where da gold at!"


Go Bruins! We fought Crosby!
Wicked Cool!

Annie said...

My dad and sister were at that game. Since then I've been wishing like hell I could have gone.

I'm going to the Broons' home opener vs. the Pens on 10/20, and I'm betting it still won't be a full house. I'll be wicked excited, though. First time seeing the Pens in person since 2002.

They say they're into Boston, yo but apparently it's not enough.

dying alive said...

Thanks for the low blow, fucko. Go Bruins! We fought Crosby!

This post has been disqualified for non-use of a Kansas City joke.

Max Power said...

Bruins are making a come back I'll give them that. It's been a long time since the 70's.

Of course that comeback will be slowed when I demeaningly beat Charra to death with an 18 inch black rubber dildo. Man do I hate that taper.

Lady Jaye said...

@JS > Music snob :)

*goes and turns on some Nickelback*

Hehe, seriously, that whole exchange cracked me up as it was unfolding. ;)

Stoosh said...

@ Cornelius -

All in good fun, sir...all in good fun. You had no way of knowing this ahead of time unless you've been here over the last couple of years and heard me mention it, but I count the B's among my top three favorite teams in the NHL.

I should note as well that one of the sites I saw with that same picture made the reference that it WAS a Bruins game, but the game was being played despite a large snowstorm that hit New England, and that was the reason for the small crowd. We've had games here with similar crowds under similar circumstances.

I will say, though, B's attendance has been down a bit the last couple of years, and it's sad to see that team taking a decided back seat to the Patriots and the Sawks (for the record, I hate the Pats but like the Sawks and while I don't follow the NBA anymore, I respect the Celtics).

Stoosh said...

Just throwin' this out there...

The company I work for does a lot of work with bronze memorialization.

Bronze memorialization includes bronze statuary. For instance, we did the statue of the bronze panther that sits outside of Heinz Field.

I'll start keeping my eyes peeled for lifesized statues of Buries It.

dying alive said...

In true Pittsburgh tradition, the Mario statue should have a bobble head.

Stoosh said...

While I'm explaining stuff away regarding the countdown photos, I should also mention that the idea for that was heavily inspired by a feature that was done a year ago over the at Every Day Should Be Saturday college football blog.

The guys who run that site did something a little bit similar to it prior to last year's college football season. They referred to it as the Daily Affirmation and it was one of those "damn, I wish I'd have thought of that" sort of things. I'm a huge fan of their blog and if anyone here is familiar with it, you probably recall seeing it.

When I saw the motivational poster creator thing, it just kind of seemed appropriate.

Max Power said...

Stallone is coming out with his own line of vodka. I wonder if contains steroids?

debrisslide said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cornelius Hardenbergh said...

@stoosh

I agree. All in good fun. I hadn't realized when that picture was from (though if it happens again, I'll definitely remember it - I got season tickets to the Bruins this year!). I really like all the crazy crip-crap that Pensblog et al does, keep it up.

...and I'll be reposting this after your comment in the other comment section.

Disclaimer

We are in no way affiliated with the Pittsburgh Penguins of the National Hockey League.

In accordance with the Fair Use Copyright Law, The Pensblog uses logos and registered trademarks of the National Hockey League to convey our criticism and inform the public.

Photos on The Pensblog are used without permission but do not interfere with said owner's profit.

If you own a specific image on this site and want it removed, please e-mail us (thepensblog@gmail.com) and we will be happy to oblige.

wooo