Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Great Day For Hockey


That's damn right

Pens finally have a game tonight.
As someone said in commentorblog, these four-day layoffs suck.

..............................................

Speaking of sucks

Versus blows

During the Flyers/Thrashers game Tuesday night, they had a little piece on Crosby during the intermission.
They asked him about his instincts, and he mentioned how "on the one where I slid, if my legs wouldn't have hit the net, I would've been face-first in the boards."
Everyone knows he's talking about that goal against Tampa Bay last year.

But Versus shows an entirely different clip of some goal he scored against Ottawa where he slid a little and barely got near the boards.

If you talk to 100 non-Pittsburgh fans and you mention the "Crosby sliding goal," 95 will know you mean the Tampa goal.

But Versus redeems itself by plugging "Sidney Crosby Revealed."
October 23. 6:30 or something.

A look at the Pens and their Atlantic Division schedule. [ PG ]

The PG also talks about MAF's largely unnoticed solid relief performance against the Leafs. [ PG ]

Talbot praises Fu Manchu for early success. [ Trib ]


[ Frankensteimer ]

....................................................

Notice anything about MAF's old mask?
( The Godfrey brothers tipped us off on this. )


The longer you look, the more and more it looks like the biggest pair of stones in the world.

...................................................................................

Neil Smith invented Fantasy Hockey. [ The 2 Man Advantage ]

Great site here.
The two guys who run it scored a interview with Neil Smith.
It is almost hard to believe:



....................................................

We said it once.
And we will say it again.
If we see someone mentions Tommy Soderstrom, it will be linked.
Seth over at EN brings us Mario's 500th goal via YouTube. [ Empty Netters ]


.................................................

[buf.png]
Jochen Hecht's 56-point season last year is worth about $3.5 mill per year. [ NHL.com ]

[dal.png]
The Stars want Forsberg.
Carrying an entire team won't help Forsberg's ankle. [ TSN ]

[tbl.png]
Vincent Lecavalier has donated $3 million to help build a cancer center. [ TSN ]
Here's hoping no one has to visit it.

[atl.png]
They lost to the flying phalluses Tuesday night.
They remain the only winless team in the NHL.

..............................................

No idea why or how we got sent this, but it is sick.

Some NHL players will be getting to test the next big thing in skates. [ ThermaBlade ]

It is a heated blade that will help skaters get better grip on the ice.


Only drawback: Wayne Gretzky is involved.
Let's just move on.

............................................................

Finally

Get ready for a new Gary Roberts song.
It is written and performed by Adam Shaw from the Pittsburgh-are band Malevolence.
[ Malevolence MySpace Page ]

Here is the MP3 file link. [WWGRD]


Sick.

.....................................

Go Pens

19 comments:

jammer jagger said...

holy crap. I am so thrilled that maxime is giving credit where credit is due.

a fu manchu is clearly a HUGE advantage, more players should have picked up on this by now.

just another reason that talbot is a completely solid human, as if we needed another.

Spencemo said...

See, that's why they brought back the Skating Penguin as the logo...HE'S GOT BALLS!

...big ones, too...

tjand72 said...

I didn't know The Bloodhound Gang read The Pensblog.

Excellent job with the song.

Any band from Western PA that plays heavy stuff is OK in my book.

Stoosh said...

Left pretty much speechless by the Roberts song. Fantastic! Even better when you check out the band's Myspace page and see that they're usually a hardcore metal band.

Gotta love that Lemieux clip for a multitude of reasons. First off, I miss those old PITTSBURGH jerseys. Second, that might be the most memorable thing that ever happened to the Islanders while wearing those god-awful Fishsticks jerseys. Third, how can you not love that Petr Klima "Buckethead" helmet that Soderstrom is wearing?

Will be in E4 tonight. Can't wait. I hate "The Devil".

snoopyjode said...

awww, i have to wait until 6pm to hear the song! weak! :(

no matter if sidney scores another even more spectacular sliding goal, that tampa bay goal will always be "the goal" to me since i was in the mellon when it happened. though, it's not bloody likely that he'll top that because that was FUCKING AWESOME.

also, i just wanted to say thanks to all for your kind words in commentorblog recently and in your paypal transactions. you guys didn't just make my day, you've made my entire month! :)

GO PENS!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Seeker said...

For those who'd like to have the lyrics for 'What Would Gary Robert Do?':

I went to the mall
Lookin for my friend, Jordan Staal
And I saw he was at mall with my other friends
There was Crosby Malkin Armstrong
Sykora and Fleury
Gonchar Rechhi Orpick
Malone and Scuderi
Sydor Whitney Ruutu Talbot Laraque Christiansen Hall
Eaton Nasreddine and Sabourin; Hell, it was them all
Why wasnt I invited
Wasnt I cool enough
My wife was even there
with my kids
I was stood up
I wanted to flip out
Scream and shout
Break some skulls
and Kill them all
Make their hearts stop
Make my gloves drop
Cus I'm the dark at night
The definition of fright
A Beat down is comin'
Just you wait and see
They wont forget this face
Cus I'm gary Roberts baby
Florida Toronto Carolina Calgary
These are all teams that were all too scared of me
Finally I'm in Pittsburgh
And that's how it's gonna be
But they're about to see why those other teams feared me

- Adam Shaw

GO PENS!

tjand72 said...

I was actually going to ask for lyrics since they're a little overpowered by the music sometimes.

Nice.

Kristen PB said...

Just another example of why Versus is such crap. I think their target audience is the casual watcher of sports. Thank God we don't have many Pens games with them this season.

Note to Versus: Please do something about Mike Emrick. I'm sure that on paper he looked great. But he's been responsible for such gems as "Well, if that had gone in, it would have been a goal."

Yes. Thank you for that, Mike. Thank you.

Lady Jaye said...

That song is the best thing I've heard all day (until I get to the Pens game of course).

Love it!

Danno said...

Hey fellas, could you imagine how many high school and college kids like myself would buy the WWGRD wristbands if somebody sold them to the people waiting in the Student Rush line? Those wristbands could take this city by storm.

Loser Chris said...

I'm still holding out for the WDRHG? wristbands.

And yes, that does stand for Where Did Recchi's Hair Go?

Hooks Orpik said...

Reading that Talbot article made me want to shave my goatee into a fu manchu for the Sat game in DC that I'll be at.

So, to recap this weekend I'll have:
-- a "Play like Gary Roberts Today" shirt (on the back of the shirt: his stare and a quote from the Gary Roberts Facts facebook group)
-- a Max Talbot "moo-stache".

Not to ring my own bell, but DING DING.

Surely the 3 or 4 Capitals fans sitting my section will be admitted to the hospital for exposure to bad-assery unlike anything they've ever seen.

Loser Chris said...

TSN is reporting Bob Hartley has been fired.

Atlanta = mud

wilsmith said...

I will do the same when I go to the game in dirty jersey. Gary Roberts everywhere.

Lloyd said...

regarding the stones on fleury's mask:

apparently the penguin has them on his chin as well...

http://www.goaliesarchive.com/masks/fleury.html

EmDubs said...

The Penguin has Chinballitis like Butters on South Park

Anonymous said...

The thing I hate most about Versus is the constant use of the word "drive". I don't play hockey, so maybe what I call a "shot" really is called a drive, but COME ON. Get a freegin' theasurus already.

Anonymous said...

i think the gary roberts t shirt with his stare is the greatest thing i have ever heard

Nathan said...

I think using "drive" to refer to shots just happens to be part of the regular styles of the top two Versus announcers. God knows I've seen enough of that jackass Joe Beninati over the years -- being stuck in Virginia means getting the 50 or so Caps games that make it onto TV every year -- and Doc Emrick has used "drive" for years. Now as to why Versus hired Beninati as its #2 announcer when Dave Strader (to name just one US-based announcer for a crappy team that no one watches) is infinitely better is another matter altogether.

Disclaimer

We are in no way affiliated with the Pittsburgh Penguins of the National Hockey League.

In accordance with the Fair Use Copyright Law, The Pensblog uses logos and registered trademarks of the National Hockey League to convey our criticism and inform the public.

Photos on The Pensblog are used without permission but do not interfere with said owner's profit.

If you own a specific image on this site and want it removed, please e-mail us (thepensblog@gmail.com) and we will be happy to oblige.

wooo